Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ephesus Again

It was another beautiful day in Turkey! Even I as write I am watching the sun set over The Island of Samos (See Acts 20:15). Though it is a Greek island it is just off the coast of Turkey. Patmos, where John wrote Revelation, not visible from here, is not far from Samos.

I went back to Ephesus this morning. I made my way to the little theatre and read Paul’s letters to Timothy. Timothy was working in Ephesus when he received the letters. After spending some time in reflection and prayer, I decided to climb the very large hill behind Ephesus. There were no signs saying I couldn’t! It was quite a climb, hands-and-knees-steep at times. The effort was worth it; the view was great. Also I saw several broken pieces of ancient pottery. That was cool!

After I climbed back down I visited the amazing Terrace Houses. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. These houses of the rich have been restored to a remarkable degree. They had running water, both hot and cold, and the wall and floors are beautifully decorated with frescoes and mosaics.

Next, I went to the large theatre and read again Acts 18 and 19. Leaving Ephesus I made the 2 mile walk into Selcuk (yes, the same name as my guide). It was an interesting walk alongside orchards. One man and his family were pruning trees. We briefly spoke in broken English. My first stop in Selcuk was the Temple of Artemis. Sadly there is not much to see. The temple was constructed several centuries before Christ and was one of Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. What’s interesting (and sad) to me is that people, specifically Wiccans, still worship Artemis (Dianna). If they saw what I saw today, then they might want to rethink that.

Today I had my most uncomfortable moment in Turkey. The Temple of Artemis is not controlled in any way. There were people selling souvenirs, especially little kids, and they were very aggressive. They would not leave me alone. One lady kept telling how poor she was and how sick her kids were. She even had one boy with a bandage on his head (it looked very fake to me). I finally got free, got my pictures, and got out of there! Later I saw a gypsy “settlement.” I think these people probably live there.

My next stop was the museum where several artifacts from Ephesus are located. On my way I met a couple of Muslim women sitting in the sun knitting, probably an older mother and her daughter. I showed them my camera and motioned, asking if I could take a picture. They smiled and one of them got up to pose. I shook my heading, indicating that I wanted a photo of them knitting. I kinda got what I wanted (see below)!

My main interest in the museum was the head and arm from a huge statue of Domitian. I believe the statue was about 25 tall and stood in Domitian Square at Ephesus. Domitian, of course, was the Emperor of Rome from 81-96 A.D. and was responsible for the persecutions that John discusses in Revelation. I thoroughly enjoyed the museum and may go back tomorrow. It is a bargain at 2 Turkish Lira, which is less than $2.

It’s nice hearing encouraging things from several of you. Thanks! I love you and feel extremely blessed in so many ways. I want to use this experience for the glory of God.

Here are some pictures: