Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Day in Ephesus

Today may have been my favorite day so far. It was 65 and sunny, and I spent 7 hours in a place I have dreamed of visiting for along time. It was, for me, a spiritual experience.

I think I was the first person at the site today. It was so peaceful and quiet. I slipped off the beaten path and sat on a base that once held a Roman column, soaking up the sunshine as I read my guide book. It was there that I spotted a beautiful red flower soaking up the same sun I was enjoying.

I spent a fair amount of time seeing things that most tourists don’t see. I roamed the place and got in places I don’t think I was supposed to be; pretty sure about that, actually. I felt like an explorer, and I guess I was in a sense.

I read Paul’s letter to the Ephesians while sitting on the top row of the small theatre, which seats 1,500. Occasionally I would look up and look out over this ancient place, imagining that some of the recipients homes were in my view. Timothy lived and ministered here. Paul spent time here, 3 years. Maybe John, maybe Mary lived here? Jesus wrote the folks that lived here.

I really got off the beaten path this afternoon and walked down to where the harbor used to be. The harbor silted up, and now the sea is five miles away. The road that leads from the harbor to the city has been restored. It was neat to walk this road, knowing that Paul, along with Priscilla and Aquilla, got off a ship and walked this same road almost 2,000 years ago. I found a neat Roman cross engraved on stone.

I ended my day with about an hour in the large 25,000 seat theatre. I read Acts 19, the account that talks about what happened in the place where I sat. As I sat there reading, a group of Japanese tourists came in, complete with their own Japanese tour guide. The guide spoke for a while, and then his tone softened and his rhythm of speech changed. I looked up to see what was happening. Every head was bowed and every eye was closed. I heard something that sounded like “amen.” Then the leader said a few things, and the group responded. This went on for a minute or more. At that end they all crossed themselves. Japanese Catholics! Wow! As I was pondering this one of the men hesitantly stepped to the middle of the stage and began to sing. His voice was beautiful, and the perfect acoustics of this ancient theatre allowed me to fully enjoy his performance of Ave Maria. It was a great way to end my day in ancient Ephesus.


Here are few photos from today.