Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Pardon the Interruption

I don’t know how it happened. I am pretty sure it was a slow, subtle thing. I think it was the influence of the boys who would hide the remote control and then turn the TV away from the news to what they wanted to watch. Not wanting to fight a battle over something that did not matter, I began to watch “their” show. And now that show has become the closest thing I have to a regular TV show. Pardon the Interruption (PTI).

Why do I like PTI? Kedra was quizzing me on that the other evening. [She kinda likes it too.] I said that I like the interaction between the two hosts and the fact that they are discussing the most relevant sports new in a real, narrative fashion, fulling exposing their opinions. It’s fun, informative, and entertaining.

Kedra says the reason I like it is because it has a timer for each topic, so you know exactly how much time there is until the conversation ends and moves to the next topic. Hmmm. She’s probably right about that. I do think I am ADD, so I like the short segments that end and move to the next topic.

Kedra, the kids, and I were talking about the show and the countdown timer the other night, and I made the joke, “We should do church like that!” “We should put a timer on the songs, the prayers, communion, the sermon, the announcements, etc. If anyone goes too long, then the horn would sound the notice that it is time to move on.” Well, before you call me irreverent, just know that it was a joke.

BUT you should also know that on a visit last fall with my OCU-B students to Sherwood Oaks Christian Church we found out that every portion of their worship assembly is “timed down to the minute,” according to the man taking us on the tour. They have 3 worship assemblies and classes on Sunday morning, so timing is everything. One of my students had visited there, so I asked her if she noticed any rushing or if it felt too structured. She said, “no.” The tour guide told us that they work very hard for the timing to not be noticeable.