Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Building a Wall & Seatbelts

Yesterday I built a wall. I would usually advocate tearing walls down not building them. I am hoping that my sabbatical time is allowing God to remove some walls in my heart and in my life so I can be more effective for him. But yesterday I built a wall.

Why did I build a wall? For my small group that will begin meeting in my home sometime in April. I built a little wall in our basement to help “frame” some large, unstructured space. I think it is going to be a great place for the group to meet. Last week I finished painting the ceiling down there, and I hope to begin painting the walls soon. I find it all pretty relaxing and enjoyable. That’s a good thing.

I’m so glad Alan M. is OK. My parents told us early Tuesday evening that they saw a truck like Alan’s all smashed alongside the road and wondered if we had heard anything. “No.” But we began to wonder and to be concerned. I told Kedra, “There are lots of trucks like his,” wanting to believe, praying that nothing had happened. A little while later the phone rang; caller i.d. indicated what we did not want to see: David and Linda’s number. Linda told Kedra that Alan was OK and proceeded to tell the story of the wreck. Here’s that story, in case you missed it.

(ORANGE COUNTY) - An accident on State Road 60 near the Orange-Washington County line claimed the life of a young Henryville woman. State Police Jasper say 20-year-old Troy Montgomery of Henryville was traveling eastbound on 60 when, for reasons still unknown, he crossed the centerline and went into the westbound lanes striking the vehicle of 40-year-old Charles Morris of Orleans.

Neither Montgomery or his passenger, 20-year-old Lauren Hanner, were wearing their seatbelts. Montgomery was flown to University of Louisville hospital in critical condition with chest injuries, Hanner was reportedly found dead at the scene. Both occupants Morris's vehicle, Morris and 26-year-old John Stewart of Mitchell, were wearing their seatbelts and suffered smaller injuries.

Morris was taken to Dunn Memorial Hospital in stable condition with minor lacerations, Stewart was flown to University of Louisville hospital with leg injuries, but was also in stable condition.


One very interesting thing that Amy told Kedra was that Alan just recently started wearing his seat belt. Wow. Thank God. Indeed.