Monday, May 05, 2014

Monday

Sunday Riders
Good morning! What a beautiful morning it is! Wow, that was fast. How did we get from Thursday to Monday? Wall to wall activity, I suppose, made the time move very quickly. I must say all the activity, as varied as it was, was enjoyable.  And the nice, sunny weather was icing on the cake. And there is more to come.

Friday was a day of multitasking. I got up early, like always, and got my smoker going. I was smoking 6 shoulders. This is part of smoking for 300 people over the next 2-3 weeks. It is for 2 graduation parties, one for Ben and the other for Libby, Maddie's sister.

After I got the smoker going I went to town and managed 5 decent miles on the run. They were slow but done, which was encouraging. After a quick shower, I did several things at the building before meeting a couple for counseling. After all that, it was back home to keep the smoke going. The heat stayed pretty good while I was gone. I don't like leaving the smoker that long (2 hours), but I had to.

The rest of the day Friday was back and forth between preparing for Sunday and watching the temperature gauge on the smoker. Cora and Maddie came over for supper, so that was fun. I had to break from playing with Cora to pull pork until bedtime. I went to bed tired and woke up refreshed, ready to ride.

We met for a 100 mile ride. In the end it was just 3 of us. There was a lot of wind on Saturday and unfortunately it moved around all day and managed to be in our face most of the time, especially as we headed home, moving to toward the west and north. It was pretty tough, but Bill and John, both stronger than me, helped me make it. It was a decent ride, mostly uneventful.

Saturday evening we had a baptism at church, which was really nice, and then Kedra and I, needing a little break, went to a movie. All that topped off a nice Saturday. I came home from the movie and did a little more Sunday prep/review before crashing into bed again.

Sunday was another busy day. Things went well at church, ending with a nice graduation dinner. This marks the first of a few celebrations for Ben. In the afternoon, I had time to ride 20-25 miles. A group of 8 gathered on a beautiful afternoon. Lester and I could do a short ride, due to church activities, and everyone else decided on a 3 hour ride.

We took off, and once we crossed 37 and picked up a tailwind on the Amish Super 2, things started picking up. Iron Bill said he was heading for the hills. Lester and I turned before that happened, and, of course, took the obligatory abuse for doing so. I finished with 188 bike miles for the week, and that's plenty for me.

This week promises to be busy. I guess I better get started.

No comments: