Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Tuesday

Rebecca and Cora Jane
Good morning! Yes, it's been a little while. And it's still pretty cold out there. I'm looking at 9 lonely degrees. Most winters I come to the end and feel unsatisfied with them, not enough snow etc. This year I am more than satisfied. I am eagerly awaiting seasonal temps and spring.

The last few days have been interesting and full of change. I will start with the most recent. I am supposed to be in Nashville for a conference today. I was going to leave yesterday, spend the night with some friends, attend the conference and come home tonight. Due to the weather, especially in KY and TN, I decided to stay here.

I took advantage of the time. I read a couple of books, ran, rode, and got to spend some time with the family. It was a nice day. Rebecca and Micah delayed their trip back to Nashville until yesterday. They thought, correctly based on the forecast, Sunday travel would be difficult. They both had light loads on Monday. Turns out the storm shifted south, so yesterday was the bad day to travel. They made it safely, but Rebecca's car now has some damage, thanks to a slide off and a guardrail. At least the humans were not hurt.

The other big change was the cancellation of all church stuff on Sunday. I don't know of any church that met. I could be wrong about that but it looked like everyone cancelled. This is the second time this year. I guess the upside to all this is the weather forecast did not come true. Now we are in a pretty good position to warm up and melt off, hopefully.

I had a pretty good endurance weekend. I took Friday afternoon off and rode 50+ on the trainer. That's not easy to do, but it is good training for mental toughness, which is a fundamental for Ironman. Saturday morning I ran 12, which went well. I've been back on the bike a couple more times and have run some more. I am about where I want to be, I think. I also got a swim in over the weekend, and it went well.

Here's the big challenge I signed up for for March: Strava's Gran Fondo 3. I did not do 1 and 2, but will try knock them out as well. They were both about an 80 mile ride. My plan is to ride the Fondo 3 on Spring Break, leaving Nashville on the Natchez Trace Trail and riding to Alabama. I am hoping the weather cooperates.

OK, enough of all that for today. I hope your day goes well!

No comments: