Monday, February 10, 2014

Computer Trouble



Good morning! I had major computer trouble a couple of weeks ago. As a result, I have not invited you to think with me for a couple of weeks now. I’m not totally back to where I need to be with my computer, but I am almost there.

Isn’t it strange, if not scary, how dependent we are upon electronic devices? I felt a bit lost a couple of weeks ago, but after a few days, I was beginning to enjoy some of the freedom. Slowly I am resuming the old patterns of dependency. I am not sure what to think about it, not sure there is another way.

Related: I am becoming more aware of how electronic devices are a new form of rudeness. I don’t think it’s intentional and it’s not rudeness that takes the form of mean words, harsh tones, or aggressive gestures. It’s a rudeness of not being fully present with another person. I am guilty.

We keep our heads down and our eyes fixed on a small screen, doing what we do. Maybe the person with you is doing the same thing. Just look around in a restaurant. Are we slowly losing the ability and desire to be fully present with one another? We are so distracted. And it’s self-centered, right?

Worse than ignoring one another, even when physically present, is ignoring God with all our distractions. He gently reminds us, "Be still and know I am God." I need to turn my stuff off when I am with you, and I need to turn it off on a regular basis to be with God. Lord, help me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts..

Pat A