Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Wednesday a.m.

Good morning! Hello Wednesday! I want you to know I just got the 3rd degree. It was 1 degree when I got up, and now it is up to 3. I know it is likely to fall again, but that's life. I will venture out for a run once the sun comes up. I did not make it yesterday morning. The conditions deteriorated so quickly, plus I could not get to town. I had two unsuccessful attempts to get up the hill by my house. I didn't try the third time, forgetting it was the charm. Oh well.

I am not terribly concerned about running everyday right now. I am more concerned about doing something everyday that points to a good Ironman in November, meaning if I don't run, then I ride and/or swim. So last night I rode. I do like it when I get the run in, but with a hamstring that is almost totally healed, I don't feel the need to push it. I don't want to get reinjured, so missing a day occasionally is not going to bother me and in the long run (pun intended) may help me.

This month I have been focused on better eating. Specifically I cut out all desserts, soft drinks (I don't do hard drinks), and butter on my nearly nightly popcorn (my weakness). Those are the unholy trinity of my dietary life. I picked up about 5 pounds during the last 2-3 months of the year, so I want to get rid of that and maybe a little more. I want to hit official Ironman training in April at a good weight.

OK, enough of all that. I will say I feel pretty good about where I am, trying to balance it all without overdoing it, leading to injury and/or burnout. It's a long, long training cycle for a long, long day in November. All the endurance stuff really helps me in all the other areas of my life, and everything is going pretty well there too. It's a busy time but things are good and getting better.

The Joseph story is my preaching focus right now. I'm really enjoying it/him. There is so much to learn from him. His story is very instructive and easy to see, I think.

Today should be good, and it will be long. I got a good night's sleep, and after a couple of cups of good Honduran coffee, I think I am ready to roll. Here we go...

No comments: