Monday, January 13, 2014

Bridge Builder



Once upon a time two brothers, who lived on adjoining farms, fell into conflict. They had worked together for years, but now they hated each other. It began with a small misunderstanding but quickly escalated to a war of words, then actions.

One day a stranger, looking for work showed up at the older brother’s home. "I’m trying to provide for my family and I can do any kind of carpentry work." The older brother was pleased to employ him.

"I do have a job for you. Look across the creek at that farm. That’s my neighbor. In fact, it’s my younger brother. Last week, there was a meadow between us, but he took his bulldozer to the river levee, and now there is a creek between us. He did this to spite me, but I’ll show him! I have pile of lumber by the barn. I want you to build me a fence so I don’t have to see him anymore."

The carpenter agreed to get busy. The older brother had to run several errands in a town faraway and would be gone overnight. The long summer day gave the carpenter many hours to work, and he worked into the darkness. He got up early the next morning and finished his task.

The older brother returned and was shocked by what he saw. There was no fence. Instead the carpenter had constructed a nice, solid bridge that spanned the spiteful creek. As the older brother looked at the bridge, he was surprised to see his younger brother approaching from the other side.

Before the older brother could say a word, the younger brother said, "After all I have said and done to you, I’m surprised you built this bridge. I’m sorry for what I did. Let’s work toward working together again." The older brother embraced his younger brother in the middle of the bridge and agreed to rebuilding their relationship.

The carpenter, packing up his tools, watched the reconciliation with a smile. The older brother said to him, "Don’t leave! I have many other projects for you around the farm."

"I’d love to stay on," he said, "but I have many more bridges to build."

In Matthew 5:9, Jesus says, "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God."

Let’s all strive to build a bridge and make some peace this week.

No comments: