Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Can you hear me now?



There’s a painting by Holman Hunt that hangs in the British National Gallery in London. You probably have seen it. It shows Jesus gently knocking at a door, a door that has not been opened for a long time. Notice the weeds. The painting is an illustration of Revelation 3:20.

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.
A little girl was standing in front of the painting with her father. "Daddy," she asks, "why don’t they answer the door?"

The father replied, "I don’t know why."

After a moment’s pause, the little girl said, "Maybe they’re making too much noise to hear him knocking."

I wonder, especially at this time of the year, if we are so distracted we fail to hear the message of the God’s entry into our world?

Immanuel, God with us.

I need to take time to be still and think about what all this means. Again.

No comments: