Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Spinning Plates



The other day while doing a little yard work, I noticed a lot of things that needed my attention. A quick tinge of "overwhelmedness" hit me. It’s a familiar feeling. You know it too; I’m sure. It was easy to get rid of in the yard. It was all stuff that can wait and not that important. Life outside the yard is a bit different.

Have you seen those plate spinning people?

They start spinning more and more plates, trying to keep them all going at the same time. Tension mounts as they have to run back to first ones to keep them going and then rush to others that are about to crash. I don’t like watching them. It reminds me too much of the way I live life.

As I move on in years, I see the impossibility of keeping all the plates spinning. Everything we are spinning may be good, but if we spin too many things, then we are replacing joy with stress. Anyone hear me?

What to do? Prioritize. Spin the important ones and spin them well. Won’t some plates crash to ground? Yes. Carefully prioritize in/with/through prayer, and then let it be and be at peace.

Here is the key. The Kingdom of God and its priorities are the true path to peace. Jesus said this in Matthew 6:33.

Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Spin the important plates first–faith and family–then the other stuff will fall into place, and if a few plates fall to the ground, then so be it.

No comments: