Friday, October 18, 2013

Grouchy?




I didn’t see until late in the day, but it didn’t really matter. Last Tuesday was National Grouch Day! I’m usually not grouchy (that’s my perception of me, anyway), but I felt that way a little on Tuesday. When I feel that way, I try to avoid people. You’re welcome.

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, a grouch is described as a person who complains frequently or constantly or a habitually irritable or complaining person. Do you know anyone who is chronic grouch? They don’t celebrate it once a year. No, it’s their way of life. Gripe, complain, grouse, mutter... Grouch! And they are not as much fun as Oscar on Sesame Street.

There are lots of reasons, I suppose, for people to be grouchy, but for the followers Jesus, well, we shouldn’t be that way. Sure, we have our moments, but we have been baptized into peace and joy.

One time someone said, describing a grouchy church member, "I think they were baptized in vinegar." That’s pretty funny and, sadly, an accurate description! I hope you will join me as I strive to live by the song that is rooted in deep theological reflection:


Booster, be a booster, don’t be grouchy like a rooster. . .

Have a great weekend!

No comments: