Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Wednesday a.m.

 

Good morning! Wednesday it is. It's the day before I take off for about a week, so it's a day of preparation. It's also a day of smoking 70 pounds of pork. Multi-tasking. Someone is having a surprise party for someone else and asked me to smoke. I said, "yes."

Last night was Pace Line Tuesday. A couple of our leaders were gone, so we were a little light on numbers and planners. We were going to have 5 riders doing the whole thing. James was going to roll out with us but only part of the way. Two of the five riders had not pace lined before, so I suggested to John H and Tim G that we do a slower paced pace line to teach them. Pace Line 101. John and Tim, ever the nice guys, agreed to give up a hard work out to help out.

Scott B and Josh A were agreeable, so we rolled out to the county line with the plan. After getting all set up and organized, we took off. We planned to go 20 mph, but there was a slight tailwind. We ended up just a tick over 21 mph, I think. We held together really well. Josh cramped with 1 mile to go and fell off a bit. We also discovered that he may have had a brake pad rubbing for the 10 miles.

Here is the data for the whole ride: Pace Line 101. The pace line starts around mile 19. This link includes our warm up and cool down. After the ride, the five of us minus Josh, took to the streets of Mitchell to complete the brick workout. Josh ran 10 miles earlier in the day. Here's the run data, just for fun: Brick Run. It was a good workout, and it was completed by a trip to Wendy's to refuel and tell stories.

Yesterday was a fairly busy day. I had a couple of significant meetings. (I'd have to kill you.) I am trying to help a guy who has no job, no GED, and a few felonies. How do you help a guy like that, with so much against him? One step at a time. We will see if he follows through on the little challenges/assignments I'm giving him. He strikes me as a little different than some, so I have hope.

Lots and lots to do... Thanks for coming by.

No comments: