Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thursday

Well, hello there! Thursday. Are you into etymology? I am. I like lonely walks on the beach as well.  Back to Thursday and simple etymology. Thursday = Thor's day, right? You know he was the Norse god of thunder, and I heard thunder overnight. What does all this mean? Absolutely nothing. It was a simple attempt to break the normal, boring way I begin these daily posts that some of you enjoy reading.

Today is the day that I work toward getting everything ready for Sunday. It's a rare Thursday that I get everything ready, but I begin with hope. I really feel the need for a "Sabbath rest." Hopefully tomorrow, at least part of the day.

So I think I begin my sermon of Psalm 88 with a Gilda Radnor quote. Really? Wasn't she a crazy comedienne on Saturday Night Live back in the 70s and 80s. Yes she was. She died of ovarian cancer at age 42 in 1989. On a painful path to death she wrote these powerful words.

I wanted a perfect ending. Now I’ve learned, the hard way, that some poems don’t rhyme, and some stories don’t have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what’s going to happen next.

Heman could relate. I can too. Can you?

This evening I will spend significant time in Paoli. I am driving the high school track team there for a meet. I think it is a big meet, so that means a long meet. I'm thinking it will be a late night, which is fine. I think I will get in a good run on the hills around Paoli. I will also take my computer and finish up what I get started today.

I'm going to miss those 80 degree temps for riding this weekend. Back into windy 50s. Ouch! Oh well it builds strength, character, and toughness. Right? Whatever. I would prefer 70s and 80s, but I will take what I get. I think we have a long run of 16 miles on Saturday, so I need to be thinking ahead about that. OK, I just thought ahead.

Clearly, I need to end this rambling... Bye. Thanks for coming by.

No comments: