Thursday, April 04, 2013

Thursday

Good morning! Thursday it is.  You know what that means for me -- prep for Sunday. I am hoping for a good productive day today. I have lots of thoughts swirling around in my head, so the challenge will be deciding which ones to use, which is the challenge each week. It's much harder to preacher shorter rather than longer, unless you don't care what you say.

I think this is relevant. Back in 1985, when I did my master's thesis, the goal was to find/explore everything about your subject. We were required to explore all kinds of options to find all kinds of materials. I spent hours and hours in Vanderbilt's divinity library. They have a great one!

Of course in those days there was no internet, and, in fact, very few computers. My thesis was typed, like with a typewriter. Every correction requested and made required a retyping. If you got lucky, you could figure out how to make that correction without affecting the surrounding pages. Sometimes you had to type the whole thing again. I remember in the end having to hire someone to type the final drafts.

Wow, times have changed! By the time I was finishing up my working Abilene, the goal was not to exhaust all the information. There was simply too much. The new goal was to find the best, most relevant material. Computers and the internet changed everything.

Computers and the internet sure have changed preaching as well. A lot of my research and work is now done online. Another thing that happens now is live fact-checking. When I preach, there is a significant number of people online. If I mention something, they can (and do at times) Google it and find what I'm talking about. It requires me to be 100% careful about what I say, which is a good thing. I like it.

When I started this, I had no idea what I would say today. Now I know. I will tell you, additionally, that I am looking forward to the next 3 days from an endurance athletics standpoint. Decent weather is going to allow some good bike miles, along with a few on the run. I will hit the pool as well. I think I am most excited about the bike right now. Swimming is still a challenge, and running is steady.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: