Thursday, April 04, 2013

God's Permission


Talk about disturbing words!

Jesus, in the final hours before the cross, speaks to Simon Peter.

Luke 22:31 — "Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers."

These words could keep us busy in conversation for a long time. They bring to mind the story of Job and Satan asking permission to test him. God says, "Yes."

I hear echoes of Job in the conversation between Jesus and Peter. Then I wonder if that’s going on with me. How does all that work? All those thoughts drive me quickly to the essence of faith - trusting God with all the unanswered questions.

I’m getting there. It’s not a bad place. It’s a place of humble liberation.

There are a couple of things to emphasize from the disturbing words of Jesus. Did you notice that Jesus prayed for Peter? Jesus has faith in Peter and prays that Peter’s faith will not, ultimately, fail.

Peter does fail terribly in his denial of Jesus, but his faith, deeply damaged by the death of Jesus, survives. Rumors of an empty tomb cause him to run there. His faith is resurrected, and he experiences the wonderful world of redemption – God making good out of bad!

It’s disturbing to think that God may give permission for Satan to test me, but it’s comforting to know that Jesus prays for me and, hopefully, believes that I will survive and become a better instrument in his hands to serve others.

Lots of questions. I am learning to trust God with it all. It’s a work in progress.

No comments: