Thursday, April 18, 2013

Thursday a.m.

Good morning! Hello Thursday! Keep an eye to the sky today. It could get crazy later on.  It's been a little crazy the last two afternoons, and I managed to get soaked both of them. Yes, I got absolutely soaked again yesterday afternoon. This time on my bike.
 
Yesterday I drove a bunch of 4th graders to Lincoln's boyhood home. While there, I had some time to read and study, which was good. I barely had a phone signal, but I managed to use what I had to stay in touch with the world. Thankfully there was not a whole lot going on. This would be helpful after I got home.
 
After dropping the kids off and parking the bus, I checked phone messages and email. Still nothing pressing going on, so I decided to squeeze in a bike ride. The wind was from the southeast, and every time it is, my attention focuses on that. Why? Because that means a great return ride on 337, from the Washington county line to Orleans. That's 10 miles, and that's our time trial and pace-line course. I've been working on covering it at a faster rate.
 
With a fairly stiff southeast wind, I knew I had a chance to set a personal record, even though I ran early yesterday and have tired legs. Who cares? Go for it! I drove to Orleans and quickly hopped on the bike. I knew I didn't have a whole lot of time before supper/church. Going out to the start was really hard, which was really good. It meant a strong tailwind. I just had to pay for it with the headwind. I paid for it. It was expensively stiff.
 
As I was grinding my way out, I noticed it getting darker and darker. Should I turn around? That would be the sensible thing to do. So I went on. About 7 miles out, with 3 to go to get to the start, I saw lightning and heard thunder. Should I turn around? Yes. But I didn't. The winds got stronger and the sky darker. Press on old man! YOLO - you only live once. Actually, you only die once. Oh well.
 
I got within a mile of the start and the sky was getting fairly angry. Was someone trying to tell me something? Press on. You've come this far. You can't stop now. I finally made it to the county line. I stopped, adjusted, set my Garmin, and prepared to go. It started sprinkling huge drops. Time to go.
 
Wow, the tailwind was great! I was hitting 27-29 mph in the first mile, but the sprinkles turned into rain. The lightning flashed. The thunder was following fairly closely. The storm was getting closer. By Bromer it was really raining. Press on old man. The faster you get back the Orleans, the better. The roads were wet and visibility was low, but my speed was high, thanks to wind and adrenaline.
 
At one point, after a flash and an immediate boom, I asked myself, "So, is this how it ends?" I was only half joking with myself. What are you going to do? Press on old man. The conditions got worse, but my speed was still good. When I hit the hill going into the Lost River bottoms, the wind suddenly was in my face, for just a few seconds. Then it switched back southeast. I went up Lost River hill pretty quickly. Then monsoon-like rains hit. I could hardly see.
 
I thought of pulling in at the large farm on the south side of the road, but for some reason, I just keep going. Another bad decision. The rain was getting harder, and now the road was filling with flash puddles. "I've got to get off here." I started looking for shelter. I made it to the little rollers before final big hill. There is old house at the bottom of the hill, on the south side. It had a front porch.
 
After nearly wrecking in the driveway, I got under the front porch. No one was home at the time. Shortly after I got there, the hail, at least dime size, started pounding the ground. At least I was not in that. After several minutes, and just 2+ miles from the finish, I was trying to figure out the rest of the ride.
 
The people came home, and the hail stopped. The rain was still coming but not as hard. I spoke to them and took off. I should have waited a little longer, because the monsoon rains returned. I could hardly see, and the road was covered in puddles. I made it back to my truck and was very thankful.
 
It was fitting, I suppose, that I had left my truck window totally down. My seat was totally soaked, and the wind had blown the rain half across the cab. It mattered not. I turned the heater on and made it home safely. The bad part is that I was on a really good time. I think on a dry road, I would have topped 26 mph for the course. Yes, there was a lot of wind, but I would be thrilled just the same. Here is what I ended up with.
 
Hey, I hear there is going to be strong wind this evening! No thanks.
 
 

No comments: