Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Giving Gifts

I’m reading through the Bible again this year. I’m always surprised by the things I find along the way – things I forgot, things I now see differently.

This year I am reading primarily The Message, Eugene Peterson’s translation/paraphrase of Scripture. Yesterday’s reading included a sentence, found in Ephesians 4:29, that really struck me.

Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift.

There is a lot to consider from this verse, but the last phrase, especially, caught my attention. Have you ever thought of each word you form possibly being a gift?

‘Tis the season to give gifts.

How about we give some early Christmas gifts with our words today? Encouragement. Support. Loving instruction.

I’m going to try doing that today.

No comments: