Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Sin


We can’t be sinless but we can sin less.

I really like that quote. My observation is that we are pretty quick to claim to first part, using it to justify sloppy living. "It’s just the way I am. I can’t help it."

Really?

If we follow Jesus, we have the Spirit of God who enables us to overcome lots of things. While it’s not possible to be sinless, it is possible to sin less, by the power of God’s Spirit.

The tension, in my mind, lies between two extremes. One extreme is striving for perfection to point that I make myself miserable, forfeiting peace and joy in the process, often making others miserable as well. The other extreme is simply giving up and giving in to sin without much effort.

So what do we do? Isn’t the key simply asking God to work in our lives, giving him the time and space to work, cooperating with him, following his lead? I believe he shows us the way to put forth a strong effort without being miserable.

So what do I need to allow him to work on today? How can I sin less today?

No comments: