Monday, September 17, 2012

Contentment


Are you content? It seems that some are; most are not.

Why is that?

I think our lack of contentment is rooted in a lack of satisfaction with God. Not being content, it seems to me, in essence, is saying "God is not enough. I want more." And wasn’t that the original sin of Adam and Eve?

The cultivation of contentment must be rooted in the promise of God’s protection and provision.

The writer of Hebrews really gets at it with these few words (in chapter 13):

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."

Of course, Paul, in Philippians 4, says he knows the secret of being content no matter what. Here’s his secret:

I can do everything through him who gives me strength, referring to Christ.

Knowing and trusting, which is the essence of faith, the promises of God found in a relationship with Jesus allows me to be satisfied internally regardless of what is going on externally.

I’m going to work on staying focused on that this week!

No comments: