Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Humble Hero


Neil Armstrong passed from this life a few days ago. I remember his words from 1969. (Yes, I’m that old.)

"Tranquility base here. The Eagle has landed."

And then these as he stepped on the moon:

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

If you have paid much attention to the news, then you have seen articles on Armstrong’s humility. He quietly and humbly lived his life for decades after walking on the moon.

From what I read, Armstrong was a Christian. Some reports say he took communion with Buzz Aldrin on the moon. We know Aldrin took it.

What I find refreshing is a humble hero. His humility stands in stark contrast to the less than heroic self-promoting significance-seeking bluster that essentially says, "Look at me!"

Armstrong must have derived his significance from a deep source. I’m thinking it was from a relationship with God. We can do the same.

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

No comments: