Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wednesday


Good morning! Hey, it's a little cool out there! Oh well. I wish this was the weather for Monday's Boston Marathon. Really! It would be perfect for me if it were to start in the 30s and slowly warm toward the 50s. The long range forecasts have been all over the place. The one pictured above scares me a bit. The temps would be OK, but the strong NW wind would be an issue. We run north east, so the race would be right into a 15-20 mph wind. There are so many people running that it might be noticeable, however. I'm a weather junkie, so I know the forecast is likely to change a couple of more times.

After last night's run, Kedra and I talked some about our travel plans, we mapped out our meals in Boston. We fly out Friday around 10 a.m. Ben is off school Friday, so he will take us to the airport around 7 a.m.  Eating, specifically carbo-loading, is what we focused on. We are staying in an apartment in Boston, so we have a full kitchen, which is nice. This place is half the price of the hotels and is downtown, so we feel blessed.

How did we score such a place? My niece Jean has a sister who lives in Boston. In her apartment building they leave a suite open for family members who come to visit. She was able to reserve that for us for Friday through Monday. She has also offered to order groceries for us, so that we can cook. We made a list last night. We will eat out a couple of times, but it will be nice to have food that I am used to.

Our Boston group will gather on Sunday afternoon for a meal. That should be lots of fun, and then I hope we will gather again Monday night to swap stories and experiences. The 8 of us running are staying in various places, but they are all pretty close together.

* * *

I got kicked out of the courtroom yesterday! I was there to support my friend in a custody hearing. When we walked in, the mother's attorney looked at me and said, in not very nice tone, "Who are you?" I told her. She said, continuing her not nice tone, "I don't think I want you in here." I said, "Listen here you dust-eating snake, I WILL stay in here, and  YOU will LIKE it! Got it?" At that point I was arrested. It was just a small scene.

Well, some of the previous paragraph is true. The bottom line is that I left the courtroom and waited outside. Sometimes there is a difference between what we think and what we say. This is usually a good thing.

Today I have meeting with other ministers in the Mitchell area. We like each other and play well together. Today we will try literally working together. We are meeting at Bryantsville to bag corn and talk about stuff. Imagine this: a bunch of preachers doing manual labor. I know this is a difficult task for some -- to imagine preachers working on a day that is not Sunday and to imagine physical labor! Having said that, I am not going to participate in the manual labor part. Hey, didn't want to disappoint you!

I don't want to risk injury just a few days from Boston. Plus I will be on my way to a funeral in Loogootee. Jim Jeffers, a wonderful member of the Shoals church, died on Sunday. He was only 51 years old. He struggled and suffered for a long time with various health issues. He lost the battle for physical health but won the victory of eternal life. He was a good man.

The rest of my day involves study, organizing our Honduras trip, meetings, and teaching. Yep, gonna be a full, fun day!

No comments: