Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday Morning

Good morning Monday! It's going to be a nice day today, even if the rain rolls in later! I like the nice warmth to start the day. I have a few things to catch you up on. The list includes a bent wheel, a sore wrist, a sore knee, and a sore hip. I'm not asking for any sympathy, knowing that none will be forthcoming.

OK, where do we start this story, which really is not all that interesting or exciting. (You've been warned.) Well, when we last met, I believe it was Friday morning. I finished my work and got to the BNL pool at 9 a.m., beginning a nice day off. The pool time went well. It was just Tim and Elder and Bill there, so there were no crowds, no strangers wondering if I would drown. I got out of the pool right at 10 and hurried home. The Kestrel was all prepped, patiently waiting to be loaded into the truck that is worth much less than it is. (Hey, the truck doubles in value when I fill it with gas.)

Off to meet Tim and Elder and Iron Bill at the Lighthouse. We got organized and took off. Tim wanted the standard 31. I wanted 50-60, and so did Bill. We did the usual route of Yocky, Rabbitsville, through Mitchell to cross highway 60 at Spring Mill Vet. As we were slowly, casually going up that little grade, I shifted into the lowest gear. Somehow the rear derailleur decided to push the chain ever further, right into the spokes. Everything kinda stopped at that point, except me. I instinctively kept trying to peddle, but peddling didn't happen. I kept moving - not forward. Downward.

My feet were firmly clipped into my pedals, and I couldn't get them out. Over I go! There is just nothing glamorous about falling over on a bike. You feel pretty stupid, but it happens. My main concern was my bike of course. I knew I had some pain, but what about the bike? Turns out that I bent my wheel, but Bill messed around with it and I decided to keep going. Here is Bill's account. I rode another 40+ miles on a bent while with a sore knee and wrist. It turned out to be a pretty good ride. Bill pulled me through nicely through the cool wind.

I got home and washed my bike and then noticed my wrist was really sore. It was also swollen. I wrapped it up a little and went to bed. Saturday morning I started to run with the group, but my knee started hurting. I turned back, deciding it best not to keeping going on a sore knee. The wrist is the issue. I have not been to the doctor. I think it's a sprain... I'll decide today. Maybe.

The wheel is the priority! ha ha. I will take it to the Bicycle Doctor today to get it trued. I doubt he will true it while I wait, so I will need to put my race wheels back on. I hope to ride this afternoon. Maybe my GM boys will want to go?

Lester and Maddie got mostly moved in over the weekend. It's so nice to have them around.


No comments: