Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Friends


Do you know all of your Facebook friends? Me neither. Facebook has really dumbed-down the idea of friendship, I think, but that’s OK. Really.

What or who is a friend?

Jesus talks a lot about friends. When he does he invokes the idea that a friend is one who will lay down his life for you, AND a friend is one who will speak truth honestly and boldly. The idea of is his time was that lack of truthful boldness is not friendly. Interesting.

We need friends like that don’t we?

But can we handle friends like that?

Can we be friends like that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The idea that friends should be ones who say difficult truths to each other seems obvious to me. I hope to be a friend like that. Maybe I am and that is why I don't have many friends (outside of FB). I often wonder if there are things I need to know about myself that others only whisper to each other but no one wants to tell me. Paranoid, I know, but I think about these things sometimes. Good post.

Mike Mathews

Allen said...

Mike, I think the same thoughts. I have found that truthful talk sometimes ends "friendship." Our culture is not conducive, it seems to me, for true frienship.

I am blessed, however, to have a couple of people who really will speak truth to me. Sometimes it hurts before it helps.