Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wednesday a.m.


Good morning! This is the first day of the rest of your life. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Not sure why. Looks like it's going to start out with a little rain, which is fine. The rain will water the flower in my front flower bed that is still alive and blooming! It's about 5 feet from the house but surrounded by rocks. My theory is that the rocks have absorbed enough heat to keep it from freezing thus far. Amazing: a flower still alive with blooms in (almost) mid-January!

Yesterday was a busy day. It got that way with the blessed interruptions that came. I'll spare you quoting my line about interruptions being my ministry, but it's true.  Today is likely going to be a lot like yesterday in that regard. It involves family members of church members being sick and/or passing from this life. It's too early in the morning to find out just yet what is going on.

Last night was Tempo Tuesday. We are easing into the tempo runs, which are run at slightly less than your 5K pace. We usually run 3 miles at tempo pace, after warming up for 2 miles, and this is followed by a 2 mile cool-down. Last week we ran 1 at tempo pace; last night we ran 2. Not everyone participates, and not everyone runs at the same pace. Last week I ran with Jim S. and Tim G. The three of us ran a 6:47 mile, so that became the goal for this week's 2 mile tempo. Ryan R. joined us this week.

The first mile was 6:46 and second was 6:39! We charged up the hill after the first mile, because I've learned you have to do that to maintain the pace for the second mile. Ryan pulled us around the circle pretty hard near the finish which resulted in the faster second mile. I was pretty happy with that time! Not sure I can hold it for another mile...although I am feeling really good right now. I ran the last cool-down mile at around a 7 minute mile last night, the last half of that being more like 6:30. Crazy! Breakthrough for this old guy? I am tired this morning though. I need 5 easy ones once it gets daylight. Hill repeats tomorrow.

No comments: