Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Wednesday a.m.

My three sons in redneck mode! Ben has been wanting a gun for a long time, so over the break we shopped around. He wants to hunt coyotes, so he found a good, used .243 rifle. The boys got my old .222 ground hog gun (from my very redneck youth) and had some fun. They placed a target about 400 yards away and started shooting. To go check the target, they all three loaded on a 4 wheeler. The picture does not quite capture the humor of the sight. Yes, they actually did hit the target at that distance, with the .243. They also called a coyote in one night, but didn't get a shot.

Yesterday was a good day in a lot of ways, but it was draining also. Gerald T's funeral went well and was filled with emotion. I don't know how many funerals I've done over the years; it's a lot. I've said before that I would rather do funerals than weddings, because a funeral provides an opportunity to really help people who are pretty focused on life and death issues. Weddings? Not much thinking going on there! ha ha

The part of the funeral that I find the hardest is when the family, at the end of the service, comes to say that final "good-bye." That part often gets to me. You see such raw and real grief. Yesterday was no exception. The sight of inconsolable mourning helps me identify with what is said in John 11, where Jesus sees Mary grieving the loss of her brother, Lazarus.

When Jesus saw her weeping, and the Jews who had come along with her also weeping, he was deeply moved in spirit and troubled. "Where have you laid him?" he asked. "Come and see, Lord," they replied. Jesus wept.

I often use this passage in funerals; used it yesterday. Even though Jesus knows that the resurrection of Lazarus is moments away--a resurrection that will create celebration, on this side of it, he weeps. Identification. #Incarnation.

Yesterday I got to spend some time on other projects as well. I am working on a sermon series, Find Your Place in God's Story, which will begin a week from Sunday. It's going to be a overview of the entire Bible, helping us all see how the plan of God unfolds from the Paradise (lost) of Genesis to the Paradise (restored) of Revelation. A lot of people really don't understand how the Story goes, and, therefore, having trouble relating to it and living it out.

Last night I had a really good run in Bedford with several friends. We were running as the sun went down. It was such a beautiful evening. Yes, it was a little cool but not too bad at all, once we got warmed up. We ran the 7 mile tempo run course, running just one mile at tempo pace. I was pleased to crank out a 6.47 mile without too much trouble. Next week we'll try hold that pace for another mile. Today is an easy recovery run of 5 miles.

Got lots going on today with study, meetings, and visits, followed by our Wednesday Evening Meal and class at 7 p.m. I hope to have a productive today and the rest of the week. My goal is to have everything finished by Friday at noon. Why? Have you seen the forecast? Mid to low 50s on Friday. I am planning on a 30+ mile bike ride Friday around noon. We'll see...

No comments: