Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday a.m.

Good morning! Wow, 50 degrees at the 5 o'clock hour? In January? I've heard predictions, based on statistics, that we will have, because of the mild winter so far, a very cold March and April and a very hot summer. But I also recall the same folks saying that our winter would be very, very snowy. Hmm. We'll take what we get and like it, right? No, we'll probably complain... ha ha

Yesterday almost turned out like I thought it would! There was one change, however, that presented me with a great opportunity. I'd been asked to see someone who is really struggling with depression and had recently attempted suicide. I was asked by a concerned family member to drop by, which I was fine with. I don't like the "just show up" approach, however. The concerned family member finally told her sister that I was coming, and the struggler adamantly refused my visit. Fortunately I was informed before I got there. I am hoping/praying that I can still see/help this person.

Once I got word of the cancellation, I happened to notice that it was sunny and nearly 60 degrees, so I contacted a friend who was about to get off work. Together we decided that we should ride our bikes, starting at 4 p.m. Tim S. and I took off on a nice 20+ mile ride. It was so enjoyable. We even saw Iron Bill out riding. He was in hurry to get back to Bedford by 5 for a run, so we didn't see him for long.

On our way back, we ride the wide shoulder of highway 37 from Woodville Road to the Lighthouse bookstore, where we park. I love finishing there because it is slightly downhill and fast. Last night we had a tailwind, so we were rolling pretty good. I hit and held 30 mph for a little while, until tired legs returned me to reality. I could see Tim's shadow and knew he was right behind me, so I focused on the road ahead. Then all of a sudden, when I look for his shadow, he wasn't there. I finished the ride and quickly threw my bike in the truck and went looking for him. He had flatted about a mile out. By the time I got there, he had a new tube on and was ready to go.

OK, so yesterday I was telling you I felt over trained. Yes, I am aware that I ran yesterday morning and then rode yesterday afternoon. Well, how about a triple, my first, when I am battling fatigue? That's how smart I am (ha ha). Last night at 8 (usually when I am thinking about bed) I got in the pool at BNL for a "swim." I wish I could take those ""s away. Not yet. Last night was not particularly encouraging, but I know frustration is a key part of learning, so I'll just leave it at that. Anyway, it was kinda cool to record in my log a run, a ride, and a "swim." This is the reverse order of a triathlon.

Today, I've got to study and study hard. My sermon series is quite the challenge. Trying to condense down the entire book of Genesis into one sermon is not easy. I'll study for a while and then get out of my cave to do what I do.

Tonight is Tempo Tuesday! 

No comments: