Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tempo Tuesday



Tim the Elder turned 60 today! And he tempoed this evening, as did several of us. Tim is a good man, a very good man. He has encouraged and helped me in lots of ways. He has done the same for many others over the years. Earlier this year he celebrated his 50,000th mile. His running achievements/accomplishments are very impressive.

We had a little wind and a little rain this evening, but the temperature was fairly mild. It really wasn't too bad at all. There was a group that said they were going to run at 7.47 pace for 5 miles. I joined the group, but I knew they were lying! ha ha. Tim Miller, Bill Deckard, Jim Sowders, Tim Galloway, Rand Hammel, Lester Burris, and I all took off to do this announced pace. Tim G. and Rand dropped back immediately. They probably knew the pace was too fast. They were right.

We went through the first mile around 6.43 and hit the second mile in 6.38. I tried to adjust at that point, knowing I was going too fast and 2 more miles. I overcompensated, slowing too much, and ran the 3rd in 7.06. I then managed to move my tired legs and body a little faster for the last mile, hitting it around 7.02. Overall I was satisfied, I guess. ha ha. I really like running more consistently, and I will.

Next week I am going to do 3 and try to do them around 6.35 per mile, which will be pushing me into new territory. We are going to do 3 one week and then extend the run a mile each time on the  other week. I will do 5 miles two weeks from this evening. That's the plan.

No comments: