Friday, January 27, 2012

Friday



How's that old line go?

The journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step.

As crazy and implausible as it sounds, I do want to become an Ironman. Right now I could probably master the the meaning in the top photo.  A guy (at least this guy) has to have a goal, a dream really, to keep moving and motivated. The Boston Marathon was that dream for a long time, even though I didn't try to realize it/attempt to fulfill it until the last 3-4 years.  Now it's Ironman in the fall of 2014. Yes, more than 2.5 years from now.

I know I can ride 112 miles, and I know I can run/survive a marathon. Swim 2.4 miles? Last night I took my first step. I didn't drown! I "swam" about 12 feet, so that means I only have to come up with 12,600 more feet to do it. Gotta learn to breathe -- ha ha! And of course I have to move from a nice pool to an open water swim in the ocean. Crazy? Certainly and perhaps certifiably. Doable? I believe. Rand the Ironman helped me a lot last night, and John H is an encouragement. I watched him swim 1000 yards, and a year ago he was about where I am now.

Today I am feeling over trained a bit, so my plan to bike outside is on the bubble. I can't do it until the afternoon. If the conditions are good--sun, light wind, mid 40s--I will try go for a short 20 mile ride. Otherwise, maybe a complete rest day? My hard tempo and hard hill workout yesterday have left me a little tired. I'm looking at 18 miles in the morning, hoping that the weather does not hinder me.

Yesterday I spent time most of the morning with 2 former students. Time with both of them was spent in the context of a courtroom. It's a whole different world. One of the students is awaiting the trial for her son who was murdered. We sat for quite a while waiting for her attorney to talk to the judge. The pain of having to relive one of the worst nightmares you can imagine is so difficult. She is dreading the trial: pictures, 911 call, the defense... Gonna be rough.

Today it's back to sermon prep. I didn't get very far yesterday. Gotta hit it hard this morning! I hope you have a great day!



No comments: