Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wednesday late morning

I have a few minutes between things, so let me tell you a couple of things. One of them comes from last night. As I was running around Wilson Park last night, I kept seeing a police SUV. It stopped up behind the Armory, and I think let a couple of squirrely teen girls out. Theymay have been walking by there, I'm not sure. Either way, they came walking toward me. One was wearing a Santa hat; both were laughing and giggling as early teen girls do.

As I approached them, the one wearing the Santa hat said, rather boldly, "Nice ears!" What? I replied, "Hello." Nice ears? Wow, all these childhood memories of having monkey ears came flooding back. Then I felt my ears to see if they were hot and thus were red. Didn't seem to be. Nice ears? Of all the things they could have to said to me, the one who has the body of a god (think Buddha)... Nice ears? Oh well.

This morning I was on my 5 mile run. I had climbed the long, and at times steep, hill and was cruising along. A car was coming around the curve and I recognized the driver and waved. As he passed me, he entered into a very tricky curve. All of sudden I hear a car skidding across the wet pavement, and then I hear it crashing into small trees and debris off the road.

I immediately turned around and ran hard to see what had happened. I thought it was my friend, but it turned out to be another vehicle. This truck had met my friend going too fast and didn't make the (tricky) curve. As I got there, the young driver was getting out of the truck. He wasn't very happy and expressed that. I asked if he was OK. He was fine.

He started wondering how he could get out. It was clear to me that it was going to require a pretty good effort from another vehicle. He came to the same conclusion. I asked him if he had anyone he could call. "No, everyone I know is at work." I said, "Here's my deal. I'm about 10-15 minutes from my vehicle, and I have a 4 wheel drive at home. I can get it and try pull you out." He was happy to wait, and now I was on a mission.

Bronco to the rescue! Yeah, baby! I got the needed stuff together, put on my superman cape and off I went. Pulled him out! Another deed done, even though I had to shorten my run by a mile. Hopefully the heroics will cancel the feeling the "4" in my running log gives, the "4" that normally drive me nuts. I wanted 5! ha ha.

No comments: