Monday, October 17, 2011

Bronco Time!

Yesterday morning, as I do 2-3 times a year, I spoke in the meeting house at Spring Mill Park. From April to the end of October, there is a gathering of folks--campers, park employees, and others--who come for a short time of worship. I really enjoy going down there and speaking to the gathered group.

Last time I went, in August, I was running right on time/slightly late, so it was frustrating to get in my truck and find that the battery was totally dead. Back in August, Luke and his car were still here, so I shouted into the house to Kedra, "Truck is dead! Taking your car!" I would ask for forgiveness later. It all turned out fine. That was back in August.

Yesterday morning, I was again running right on time/slightly late for the 8:30 gathering. I open my truck door -- no dome light. Oh no! Dead again! This time we didn't have Luke's car, so I couldn't take Kedra's car. Brono to the rescue! Bronco time!

I fired it up and took off. Hard! I was running late, but after seeing a deer or two, I slowed down. As I entered the Park, I slowed way down and rolled up to the gatehouse. I have a park pass, and I had it ready. Then I saw her! The lady that has given me and many others grief over the years. She is a strict stickler and seems to like to wield her authority.

The driver's side window of the Bronco doesn't work well, so I didn't want to roll it down. I chose to press my park pass up against the windshield as I came to a stop at the gatehouse carefully guarded by Major Pain. She stared at the pass, looked at me, looked at the Bronco; her face showed disgust. No head nod, no permission to go on. Completely stopped, I moved the park pass from the windshield to the side window, pushing it with authority against the glass. She stared at it, looked at me, looked at the Brono.

After a bit of stare down, she finally barely nodded and said, "You need to slow down!" What?? I am stopped! Oh well, I gave her a glare and drove off. Not sure who won that one, but I got by her. I revved it up and fishtailed out of the gate, cut a doughnut or two, hollered "yee haw," before proceeding to lead worship. It was a great way to start the day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the word is that furbee's friends have gotten to the park lady.

Anonymous said...

I have heard of snub-nosed but never snub-tailed. Your truck is a classic.

Don