Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wednesday

How are you on this new day--a gift from God? Let's make it a good day! Yesterday was good for me. I got a lot of good study done, and then I saw a few people, including a young man I worked with quite some time ago. He had been in jail, and I worked with him to get him a job (along with other caring people). He failed a few times, and, in frustration, we drifted apart. He seems to be a little more stable and doing better. I was glad to see him and hear that.

One of our church member's home was destroyed yesterday. Evidently there was a gas leak that led to an explosion. No one was home, except for 2 dogs. They both died, and, as my friend told me, "They were like family." Crisis is a great editor and "focuser," meaning it forces us to focus on what's important. My friend's attitude was good. He is thankful that he and his family are alive. They have good insurance and will be fine, but it will be tough getting back to "normal."

Yesterday evening I went to Bedford to run with some of my friends. I thought there was going to be a relaxed 10 miler. When I got there I found out the plan was for a 10 miler at either a 7:10 pace (turned out to be sub 7) or a 10 miler at 7:30 pace (turned out to be faster also). I plan to do these faster, longer runs in the very near future (next week), but I didn't think it wise so soon after the Persimmon Run. I opted to go out with the 7:30 guys. I did that for 3.5 miles before my legs got tight and my hamstring started squawking. I told my 2 buddies to go on, and I finished with less miles at a slower pace and without an injury. It was a good workout. Today I will do a hilly 7 miler. Boston is hilly, so hills are my new way of (running) life.

Not sure what all I will get done today. I plan to see a few people, study a little more, have lunch with a friend, plus minister in the interruptions -- all that before a meal at church, followed by a Bible study. Here it comes...

No comments: