Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tuesday a.m.

The boy pictured above works at the dump in Tegucigalpa. He was very friendly and playful and kept posing for pictures. It's hard for me to imagine what his life it like.

Yesterday was a good day - the first day of establishing a new routine. I started with an early morning 5 mile run. I chose a hilly course, from Spice Valley to Bryantsville and back. There are long hills coming and going, and of course I do them in both directions. Good workout! I love the weather at this time of the year. The cool mornings and evenings make the warm/hot days enjoyable.

I had a few meetings yesterday, and they all went well. When I was finishing up one meeting in the afternoon with prayer, I sensed that someone was in the hall. Sure enough I looked up and there he was. A short heavy-set man with a beard. He looked poor. He was wanting to know if the food pantry was open. I told him it was closed for day but would be open tomorrow.

He then asked me if I was the preacher. Yes. He asked me if I had been to...he tried to get the word seminary out. I finally completed the word for him. Yes. He then wanted to know the date that Jerusalem fell. I told him 70 by the Romans and 586/587 by the Babylonians. This excited him. He then wanted to know about the Muslims in Jerusalem and the Crusades. He then wanted to know what languages Jesus spoke.

It was unexpected and bizarre conversation. I enjoyed it immensely. He was concerned that his pastor was wrong about some dates. I suggested that God was probably more concerned about the way we are and the way we live. He then told me this, "I'm really trying to get things right in my soul. That's what's important, getting things right in my soul." As he said this he pointed to his heart. I told him I agreed.

I walked him to the door, and he left. I hope to see him today. Interesting job I have.

No comments: