Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Response to Suffering

I really like Reinhold Niebuhr's Serenity Prayer. You can see why it's so popular. What strikes you about it?

The line in this prayer that strikes me is this:

"That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him forever in the next."

I will settle for "reasonably happy," in light of all the suffering and injustice in the world. Seems to me it would be irresponsible to be totally happy, while so many suffer so many things! What do you think?

1 comment:

Tracy said...

What strikes me about it is the very beginning:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I have not gotten here by accident nor on my own, but only by the Grace of God.

I don't know that I would call "totally happy" irresponsible considering each person's meaning can vary considerably. However, "reasonably happy" seems...reasonable and totally obtainable, especially when we walk with God.