Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wednesday a.m.

I will not complain about the weather. I will not complain about the weather. I will not complain about the weather. OK, at least not too much!

Last night I went to Bedford to ride my bike, hoping that a group decision would be made to cancel the ride and run instead. It was 49 degrees and very damp! We're having to ride from Bedford right now because Orange county still has major road closings due to continued flooding. The Lost River system drains very slowly. When I got there I found only a few riders, mostly the fastest guys. I knew I would get dropped and dropped hard, plus it was so cold! I took some abuse as I announced that I was going to run instead of ride.

I ran a little while and my niggling pain started up, and I was having this angel/devil debate on my shoulders. "You came here to ride! Why are you running - by yourself?" "Yeah but it was going to be hilly and I would have been dropped early, plus it's freezing!" This went on for a while. Then I realized I could still ride, at my pace, in town, waiting for them to come back. This is what I did, and I froze. We ended up in a heavy mist (commonly called light rain) At least I did not sail down the rock cut on 37 at 30+ mph. I rode about 11 miles and finished with the group.

After that Jim Sowders and I went to his house and got his trailer. He is sending an old eye exam chair to Honduras, along with a refractory, for future use in eye clinics. He hopes to go with me in the future. That chair was/is HEAVY! We could barely scoot it, but we managed to get it out of his office and loaded onto the trailer. Then we hauled it over to our church building. It will take several men to get it loaded on the container.

Today I need to have some quiet study time. Then I will go to Bloomington to see a couple of people. I am studying Ecclesiastes. It is a fascinating book that really wrestles with a cyncical view of life before emerging with/to a very profound conclusion. I'm working to get my mind around all that the writer is saying.

No comments: