Thursday, May 26, 2011

Got close!




We had a big tree, less than 50 yards from our house, go down last night, and another tree close to it snapped off. This was during the 2nd tornado warning. We went to the basement and had not been there very long until Ben said, "I think I heard a tree fall." My 52 year old ears did not hear it.It is a really big tree. The root ball is about 15 feet tall.

This damage is so minor relative to what others in the area experienced and is not worth mentioning in the context of Joplin and Tuscaloosa. I was a little surprised to find these trees this morning. I really thought the 2nd wave of storms seemed minor. It didn't seem like the wind blew that hard.

My brother-in-law's mother was one of the ones hurt in the storm last night. She lives around Heltonville and sought shelter in a neighbor/relative's home. That home was destroyed, and she was hurt. I think she will be OK.

I'm sure the daylight and time is going to reveal lots of things today. As a friend wrote this morning, "Let's all pray for those out on East 50."

No comments: