Friday, May 27, 2011

Communication

It's really ironic. I've been thinking some about the social media bootcamp I attended last week. There are so many really neat ways to communicate, but it is much harder to do. All the ways to do it should make it easier but that's not the case. This irony was brought to my attention recently.

When I was organizing the trip to do disaster relief in tornado torn Tuscaloosa, I was working with 11 others guys. Some of them used email but not all; some texted but not all; some used Facebook but not all; some used cell phones to talk but not all; one did not have a cell phone. I could go on about categories etc., but my point is this: I could not communicate with everyone at the same time in the same way. This made organizing the trip harder. It wasn't that long ago that you could simply send out an email and have everything covered. Those days are gone.

I'm not sure how communication will continue to evolve. Doug Pagitt, the guy who led our workshop last week, says it will soon be visually based. We will use short videos. I'm not sure about that. I just don't know. I do know that it is getting harder to communicate with the church family outside of assemblies. We need to have multiple points of contact with each person and then use different media to send out a message.

Wednesday evening we cancelled all activities at the church building due to the dangerous storms approaching (and what a good decision that was!). I sent out an email, texted several, tweeted on Twitter, and sent out a Facebook group message. All of these need to be updated and refined. I am looking at website called Posterous as a possible solution.

No comments: