Saturday, May 07, 2011

Good Mini

What a wonderful day it was! The weather was about as good as it gets for a half marathon in May, and most of my running friends had a good days today.

Kedra ran her first 5K today! I am so proud of her. She has been engaged in secret training all this year - ha ha. She did really well and enjoyed the experience. Maddie and Rebecca walked the 5K, which wasn't much of a challenge for them. They walked the Mini last year but didn't want to do it today.

I ran with Jean Sowders, my niece, today. Our goal was to get her under 2 hours for the Mini. We started in corral F, which is considerably different than starting in B, where I've been for the last couple of years. There was constant traffic - runners in the way all 13 miles.

Jean took off and naturally wanted to run faster. I kept holding her back to around a 9 minute mile. I've seen too many times someone go out fast and then bonk later on. She felt good the whole way, so once we got to the 9 mile mark we started picking it up. She ran negative splits all the way in. The last mile was an 8:16 mile! She finished in 1:57 and change. Could she have gone faster? Maybe! She looked awfully strong. My concern, again, was going too fast early on. Future races will allow her to experiment.

Lester had a good day. He ran 1:30:09! Ben had a rough day. He lost a lot of training during driver's ed, and really never got back into the flow of things. He gutted out a pretty good performance, considering his lack of training.

After the race we had a nice celebratory meal at PF Chang's, our favorite Indy place to celebrate. It was so nice! I love being with all my children.

I am trying to get ready for our big trip to AL for disaster relief. I hope to be able to blog from there, but I just don't know if that will be possible. Check back.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Thank you, thank you! A thousand times...thank you! What an amazing experience.