Wednesday, April 27, 2011

No.

I have a really hard time saying a certain word. NO. I don't like to say it. Sometimes I don't like saying it because I don't want to disappoint someone. At other times I don't want to say it because I want to do what I'm being asked to do.

This morning a good friend suggested I should come to a certain event that supports a really good work. I laughed and said that I love the work and would enjoy the event, but I need to say "no." This lead to a very friendly conversation about how many good things there are to be a part of, but there is just not enough time or energy. I think the energy part - emotional energy, desire, whatever you want to call it - is the biggest problem. Most of us just can't be that interested in but only a few things.

That's actually one of my frustrations in life. I would love to do so many other things and be involved in so many other works, including spending more time with specific people, but I don't have enough time and energy. We talked this morning about how a lot of people have this same problem and frustration and then others complain about having nothing to do or choose to do nothing. Such is life...

It all comes down to priorities and balance, which are fairly subjective I suppose. I know that in the context of seeking first the Kingdom of God (Matthew 6:33) my family gets top priority. I've done a lot of things wrong, but I feel that I've done fairly well with my family. It was/is an intentional move. I won't put others before them. Things related to loving God with all that I have and loving my neighbor as myself mean that church and service are high priorities. Of course there are so many ways to do all that. Choices.

My physical health is important to me, and I love endurance running and biking. They keep me healthy and help me deal with all the stress that comes with the work I do. The side benefit of my choice to be involved in these activities are the wonderful friends I have discovered. I thoroughly enjoy spending time with them.

I'm not sure why I wrote all this, but there it is!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Allen. I too struggle with saying no to people and I share your frustration. Sometimes I feel that I am being pulled by so many people in so many different directions. This can lead to burn-out.

So, here's to saying NO more often!

Pat A