Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sacred Interruptions

Is anyone else annoyed at the State Farm commercials where people sing off-key, "like a good neighbor..." and an agent magically pops up and then, this is the part that really annoys me because it does not make sense, the people start magically singing about all the other stuff they want. What?? How does that have anything to do with insurance? I'm probably old and don't get something...

Why the above rant? Because I was thinking of the commercial that says, "Life comes at you fast!" While I don't remember what it advertizes, it made me think of other commercials, which then lead to the one that annoys me. So now you know how my (not so) brilliant mind works.

Anyway! Life does come at you fast, and you never know what is going to happen. You can plan, prepare, and expect things, but then something will come along and change it all. That's all fine and the stuff that can lead to faith.

Why am I thinking of this? Because this morning I had an unexpected interruption. You have heard me quote/paraphrase Henri Nouwen enough that you can qoute him back to me.

I used to complain about the interruptions to my ministry until I realized the interruptions were my ministry.


A guy came by for one reason, and a few questions (by me) later we are invovled in a deep conversation about his life. His life happens to be falling apart. You'd never know it unless you asked the right question. He told me, in essence, "I'm really good at everything I do professionally and recreationally, but I suck at life." Hmmm.

Separation.

Divorce.

We had a good chat about faith/trust and submission and God's redemptive nature. He is disappointed with church. He used to attend, but through all his problems he said not one person has called him. "Not one," he said, fighting the pooling of tears. He needs a friend, and that's who I hope to become. How can I not? (See last Friday's post about the tension of living life.) Providentially, I believe, I was able to go run after the interruption. My daytime running buddy is my therapist and did not know that until now (ha ha). We run, I talk and he listens. It's all good.

Yesterday I had a fairly stressful morning. Lots of stuff going on with lots of people. Just lots of stuff. Life comes at you fast. I decided to take the afternoon off and ride my bike. Twenty-five miles later, I was feeling much, much better.

OK, time to get back to work! I never know who/what is going to come into my life next. I am prepared, I think. I told the guy this morning, the older I get the less I know, which drives me further and further into faith/trust with God. It's scary, unsettling but wonderfully liberating in some ways.

Bye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I interrupted you when you were writing this post...


Pat A