Friday, March 04, 2011

Dumb Thing (again)

I recently confessed my dumbness in this post. Well, I have another confession in this category. This is another kind of dumb but still dumb.

On our flight from Houston to Tegucigalpa, Honduras, I had a very enjoyable time. I had a nice aisle seat, which is my preference, a good nap, a snack, and some very good reading time. I was reading a book on my beloved Kindle.

I am a fairly good organizer, so I had arranged to have certain things in the seat back, things that I wanted/needed, and everything else was stowed overhead in the bin. Once we get on the ground, I have a system: put everything in the seat pocket, get the bag from the overhead bin and place it on the seat. Then while standing, move everything from the seat back to the bag. It has always been a flawless plan.

I've always been critical of family members who do not follow a systematic plan and have been known to leave things on planes. They have left things because they did not follow The Plan.

After we got to Honduras, later that evening, I went to get my Kindle to do some more reading. I looked in the pocket where it should have been. Not there. "No big deal, I was tired, it is probably in another pocket." Wrong. Suitcase? No. OH NO! I had done the unthinkable. I had failed to properly follow The Plan. Shame, shame!

The next day I went back to the airport and found the one Honduran worker that I know. She and I formed a friendship in 2009 during the military mess that kept us in the country a little longer than we wanted. Her name is Katy. Katy told me that no one turned in a Kindle, even though she did not know what a Kindle was.

I filed an online report with the airline, knowing the chances were pretty slim of seeing my Kindle again. Then I got busy and caught up in our trip and really did not think much more about it. Until Thursday.

On Thursday morning I received an email notice that I had purchased a Kindle book. Hmmm. Somebody purchased a Kindle book for my Kindle, using my Kindle, but it wasn't me. At least my Kindle was no longer lost. It was now stolen. I immediately went to my Amazon account and shut everything down and reported it stolen. The thief only got one book that costs less than $7.

I guess if being that dumb only cost me $7, then that's not too bad. But I do wonder what dumb thing I will do next! Oh, I have another Kindle and was able to download all the books I have ever purchased, including the one the thief purchased, for free. I love my new Kindle.

No comments: