Sunday, February 13, 2011

Honduras Days 1 & 2 February 2011

Honduras Day 1 and 2 Feb 2011
[Sorry about the delay in this post. I didn’t have internet access.]

Saturday - Day 1

We had a good, successful trip. Quince Earls, our faithful driver, and I left Mitchell at 3 a.m., stopped in Bedford to pick up Steve Gilstrap and Dan Kerr, and then we made our way to the airport. We got there around 4.30 and met Teresa Birtles. The four of us got checked in without any problem. We had extra bags–5 duffel bags–full of supplies for the Honduran people.

I did have the full experience with the TSA! I got the complete pat-down, and it was very complete. Wow!

The flights from Indy to Houston and then from Houston to Tegucigalpa were both on time and smooth. I managed to get a little sleep and read a lot. Marc Tindall met us in the airport, organized our bags, and then took us to Popeyes Chicken to eat. It’s funny that my first trip to Popeyes happened in Honduras; funny to me at least.

On our way to the place where we are staying, Julio’s, we stopped at a tire place. Marc had a low tire and needed it and another one replaced. It’s certainly wasn’t Big O, but I found the experience enjoyable. I think it had a lot to do with 80 degrees, sun, and a light breeze, plus there were several entertaining sights..

At Julio’s we got settled in and then started dealing with 3000 pounds of beans and rice. We are going to distribute this to various people in need during the week. It took us a few hours to get it all organized into smaller bags.

Our first meal (not counting Popeyes!) in Honduras was amazingly good. We sat around the table and talked about the day and week ahead. It’s good to be here. We appreciate your prayers.

Sunday - Day 2

I think most of us slept well last night, Those envious of my comment about the warm weather will be happy to know that we woke to cool, damp, windy weather this morning, and it’s been cool all day long.

We had a nice breakfast. After breakfast we found a scorpion in the shower. That was kinda neat. Dan decided that the scorpion should die, so it did.

We worshiped with the church at the children’s home. It was a nice worship assembly full of kids and life. I didn’t understand much of it, but I recognized some of the songs. I had two children leaning on me, hungry for love, during the assembly. It was precious. The kids are so sweet.

After church we went to a nice local restaurant. The food was wonderful! I had some grilled chicken. Yum. There was a little boy playing bongo drums at times during our meal; quite entertaining.

This afternoon we went to the hardware store to get some supplies for a water treatment system. We are now back at the children’s home repairing a system that Steve and other put in during an October 2009 trip. This evening we are going to organize supplies and get ready for long day that starts early in the morning. We are going to build a house and distribute food.

We appreciate your continued prayers.

2 comments:

Melissa Wilson said...

I'm so happy that yall are in Honduras! I'm praying for as many oppurtunities as God can throw at you, and a little more compassion toward the scorpians! They didn't do anything to you! (Kidding)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are going well, praying for you all. Wish I was with you.


Pat A