Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tempo Tuesday

Tempo Tuesdays are back! Actually they started last week, but I couldn't do it, due to sickness. Tonight we started out with a group of 14 runners. Some wouldn't tempo but the most of us did. The tempo begins with a 2 mile warm-up that includes several short surges of running at nearly full speed.

After the warm-up we stretch a little. Then the fun begins. Our tempo is a 3 mile run at a slightly slower than a 5K pace (in theory). We know where the first quarter and half mile marks are. This helps us adjust our pace. Everyone did really well this evening. I was especially pround of Ben. He ran a 6.58, 7.01, and 7.02. He will continue to improve rapidly and dramatically, I believe. I ran 2 miles at a 7 pace, but that was all I had. I had to stop and cough - a reminder of last week's sickness. I was pretty pleased to hold that pace that long. Last year I peaked out at a consistent 6.45 pace. I hope to get back to that.

Today was a good day. It was surprisingly warm and sunny. I spent most of my day working on a project for the Lilly Endowment. They have asked me to write a 10-15 page paper about the lasting impact of my sabbatical experience. I am really enjoying doing this. The paper will be on a website that sabbatical seekers will use to help them.

Kedra and I met for lunch at Arby's. That was nice. I went over and ordered 2 junior roast beefs, 2 orders of potato cakes, and 2 waters. Isn't that exciting? I timed it so that she could walk in from school and be ready to eat. That way we beat the 20+ high schoolers who showed up for lunch.

After school we went to the funeral home and nursing home. Our neighbor Roger was doing better today. He is starting to talk about coming home. Ideally, in my opinion, he would be better off in a residential facility, but I doubt he will go for that.

OK, time to do some reading and start thinking about popcorn and bed.

No comments: