Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Yesterday I was trying to find a little warmth for my 5 mile run, so I decided on a late morning/early lunch meeting with Tim S., one of my running friends. I worked hard all morning getting lots of stuff done and then I met Tim. The run went well. As we were getting in our trucks to leave, he said, "Hang on, I have something for you." You know what he gave me? A bag of Starbuck's coffee beans! I cracked up and told him he would also once he read my blog post (from yesterday). Wow, I wish I would have blogged about receiving a new truck.

My truck has 232,000 miles on it. I'm hoping it holds out until someone gives me a really nice one, one with like 150,000 miles.
[Let's see if this works.]

Thanks Tim, I really enjoyed the Christmas Blend this morning!

Yesterday was a good one. I got both of my final exams written and ready to go. Wow, I'm glad I don't have to take them! ha ha. I also got some significant study about Anna done. I think this sermon has lots of potential. They all do, of course, but sometimes you really connect with a passage.

Preaching is an interesting thing. I take it seriously of course, which means I feel that every week I need to be able to communicate effectively something that is important and significant. Some weeks I feel like I do, but other weeks the blank stares and yawns tell me otherwise. Some compare preaching to baseball batting averages. Hitting 300 is good, right? It's best not to think on these things too much.

I'm still watching the weather for this weekend, and it's still very interesting. It may make my sermon prep a little less important. It all depends on the track of the storm and the timing.

Lester runs his first marathon this weekend. I am so excited for him. Back in 1984 I ran my first one--the same one--in Huntsville. They've changed the course since then, but most of it is the same. My first one was a disaster. It was freakishly warm, and I got dehydrated at 10 miles. I gutted it out and ended up in the medical tent after collapsing at the finish line. Hmmm, seems like I have a history of doing that.

Kedra and I are excited because Lester and Maddie are going to ride down to Huntsville with us, so we'll have lots of time to visit and talk about marathon strategy. Kedra is really fired up about that part.

Today is the long day, so I best get moving...

2 comments:

TIm S. said...

I'm happy you didn't ask for a new trunk. You might have been disapointed! Glad you enjoyed the beans.

Tim S. said...

Oops. I meant "truck". But if you own an elephant, you might need a new "trunk" too.