Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Today is my first day of a new schedule, so it is time to adjust. Of course going into all the holiday "interruptions," which are wonderful, is not the best time to settle into anything too firmly. Yesterday I finished up at Oakland City U., and I am not teaching next semester for several reasons. I'm not sure about the fall. It's all good. Peace.

Sounds like the weather could get interesting again tonight and into tomorrow morning. It's not good for the kids to miss school this early, but what can you do? I hope we get more snow than ice. Ice is really hard to deal with!

This Sunday I am going to talk about the Incarnation, so today I will spend a lot of time studying/thinking about it. It's really an amazing thing to consider. God became flesh. Why?

My public move regarding the superintendent (see previous post) has been interesting already. It also makes me uncomfortable, but I feel like it is necessary. What does it say when there is much more interest regarding coaching changes than this issue? That's my perception - people may be concerned but there is not much being expressed, unlike coaching controversies.

I had a very good cyber conversation yesterday with a person whom I respect. He was gently challenging my thinking, I think, by saying that the new superintendent has done a lot of good and cares about kids. I would agree with both of those ideas, and I know that we are all very flawed. He also mentioned that there might have been provocation that lead to the bad behavior, and I think that might true also. But I believe even, and especially, in the face of provocation, someone in this important position of school leadership must maintain self-control, trusting that truth will come out.

Enough of that for now. Ben and I joined our Bedford buddies for a nice but cold (could add another t to the word before cold) run last night. I love running with these folks. It is so much easier when you are engaged in entertaining conversation. I hope to have a midday run today, and then I think I will look at hoping on the bike trainer for tomorrow's workout.

Here we go...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

allen, i was going to say something to you about your commments at the board meeting but hadnt yet. in my humble opinion, i believe it was absolutely the right thing for you to do. you did it peacefully, respectfully and professionally. too many folks are afraid to make a stand and you are right as well that there is a lot of debate on coaching issues but less on the other admin positions. responsibility, character, intergrity etc. all have to start at the top of an organization and leaders have to act in a manner others will not only want to emulate but should.
yes, running with the "gang" is a treat. i miss having a schedule that doesnt allow regular runs with them.
rr