Thursday, December 16, 2010

Good morning! Well, I was expecting to wake up to a few inches of snow, but, NO, it's only thin ice. It was enough, however, to shut down the schools. Ben is one lucky boy. He did not study for the final exams that were supposed to take place today. He was trusting the weather forecast.

Today I hope to be able to get my sermon on the Incarnation done. There is so much to consider, so the task, as usual, is try say the most significant thing and say it in a way that will keep the interest and attention of the listeners. Part of my doctoral thesis was understanding how people listen to sermons, and guess what (?), people listen in different ways, which makes it even more challenging. For Sunday I want to try balance emotion and information. I am thinking of doing imaginative vignettes of various characters' thoughts, mixed with short bursts of doctrinal information. We'll see...

I had a good run yesterday, and I look forward to getting on the bike trainer today. I hope to ride for an hour or so. I have the bike set up in front of an old TV in the basement, and I have recorded several documentaries for my viewing while riding. I love multi-tasking.

Luke arrived home last night from Lipscomb. It is so good to have him home for a couple of weeks. He leaves for Guatemala on New Year's Day. He will be down there for a week or two doing survey work along with some construction. Then he will return to Lipscomb for the spring semester.

Did you see the police report regarding the superintendent that is supposed to begin work at Mitchell in January? Wow. The best and honorable thing is for him to resign. That is my hope and prayer. People need to calmly and civilly call for this in various public ways. There is too much silence, and silence can always be misinterpreted.

No comments: