Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Hard to imagine

I've mentioned several times the woman in my class at Oakland City who had a son murdered earlier this year. A new chapter in the story was revealed to me last week. She told me that her son's girlfriend was about to deliver a baby and the baby might be his.

Sure enough over the weekend the birth took place, and my student was in the delivery room helping to bring this baby into the world. She said it was a wonderful experience, but it is also very unsettling. She does not know yet if this baby boy is her grandson. She should know soon.

Can you imagine what she is going through? If her son is the father, then she has a grandchild and an ongoing connection with her deceased son. What if he is not? My heart goes out to her and many people are praying for her. On Wednesday we are discussing the book of Job. I think it will be a very interesting discussion.

I'm in the 3rd week of tapering for the Marathon, so I'm not running much. I didn't run at all yesterday. Today I will run 5 miles; two of them at marathon race pace. Tomorrow I'll run 3 easy, off Thursday, 2 easy anxiety-relieving miles on Friday, and then the big day. Yikes! The weather forecast seems to be changing. Colder. Now it looks like mid-20s for a start and around 40 for the finish. I'm still wear shorts and dressing lightly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allen, i had an employee who lost a son in a car accident at an early age and just a few weeks later the girlfriend gave birth to a little boy that was his. i saw two sides of that issue, one, it gave him a connection to his son, and two, on the negative side, it seemed he never finished grieving because of that connection. no doubt either way a very tough one. there are so many people out there in the world suffering in ways we can not even imagine. i used to struggle with the idea of just loving people was enough and now as i get older i understand that is the best we can do in a lot of cases because we cant understand what they are going through.
good luck on the taper and the race. i am anxious for the results. do you have heatherly lined up to carry you across the finish line since i wont be there? :) sure hope that isnt needed.
RR