Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Wow, the time sure flies! I am still adjusting to everything I’m try to do and trying to maintain down/quiet/renewal time. I’m getting there.

Labor Day weekend was great! I really concentrated on relaxing and having a good time, yet staying caught up with things, which requires a fair amount of reading. I had some enjoyable long runs with my friends, an 18 and 10 miler (Sat. and Mon.). I got on my bike for 20 miles Monday afternoon. It was nice!

Cut some firewood,
and smoked some meat.
It was all good.
The weekend was complete.

Yesterday I took my deaf neighbor to Bloomington for a lung biopsy. He only weighs 93 pounds. He eats little and smokes a lot. He’s had cancer before, and I am very concerned that he has it again. We had to be in Bloomington at 6.30, so we left pretty early. I enjoyed the time. I stayed with him most of it, and got some reading done while he was gone.

It was interesting interacting with all the medical personnel. They are not used to dealing with deaf people; there is always an adjustment. I tried to help write notes when I could. The first person that took us back from the waiting room asked about my relationship to him. I told him I was a neighbor. She, in a very raspy, smoker voice, kept saying how nice it was that I was doing this. I finally told her, “We follow Jesus and believe that’s what he wants us to do (help people).” She quickly added, “A lot of people don’t.” I think she follows Him also but she didn’t say.

The second nurse was in a hurry and seem frustrated that my neighbor couldn’t talk, although she was very kind to him. She was a little short with her fellow workers. The doctor was very kind and careful with him. The doc told me that he and my neighbor emailed back and forth about things. The nurse that helped transition to leaving was very gentle and kind. It’s just interesting to observe everyone doing their job.

Well, I need to be in my classroom about right now! Bye.

No comments: