Sunday, May 09, 2010

Sunday afternoon thoughts

That's a picture of yesterday's start. Lot of people! I started in gate B, which put me ahead almost all of them, so I had no problem with runners being in the way. Rebecca and Maddie started in X. It took them more than 30 minutes to just reach the start line.

Through conversation and returning memory I figured out part of what I wrote below is not quite right. A couple guys helped me up from the fall and then I started running again. I was about to fall the second time when Ryan caught me and was helped by another guy. Ryan told me this morning that I was heavier than he thought I would be. He should have said, "He ain't heavy, he's my brother." AND he should have said to the guy who said I was old, "Yeah but he was ahead of you for 13 miles!" ha ha.

We had a nice mother's day celebration. Everything went well. All the guys cooked, and the young guys and girls cleaned up.

I find mother's day awkward at church; never sure how to handle it. While some love to be honored and appreciated, and some love to remember their mothers, for others it is a very painful day, due to death, barrenness, rebellious uncaring children, neglect, etc. For the last few years we have acknowledged the day at the beginning and then continue on with something else. I always feel conflicted by that. Oh well...

Rest is going to be the key for me this week. I don't feel real well today. I will run some this week but not a lot. I want to map out my running plans leading up to the Monumental Marathon on November 6. I think I want to race some 5Ks just for fun and to work on speed.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Two things...you guys did a great job with the meal today! Really, it was so tasty & seemed so effortless, that maybe...Nah. I won't press my luck. And, I think Mark Buchanan has bugged my home. He read my mail...probably my texts. Basically, the quote of his you posted was a synopsis of my distortion of God's plan for me. I'm still chewing on this one.

Allen said...

Thanks,Jean! You know I love smoking. It's so addictive.

Yes, Buchanan's stuff is worth chewing. He challenges my arrogance that leads me to believe that more depends on me than it really does.