Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday evening

Luke arrived in Guatemala yesterday. He'll be there for a little more than 3 weeks helping to build a compound that will be used to serve the poor. He wrote this last night:

Hey, we made it here fine today. We are actually still in Guatemala City, with Steve's (one of the guys that came) in-laws. They fed us fried chicken, really good cake and coffee. I got to take a two hour nap on a hammock. It is about 75 and sunny here, just about perfect. Tomorrow we are going to get with the lady that will cook for us and buy food then head 4 hours north to Coban. We'll meet the others there. I need to get to work on making some changes to the building.

We will be eager to hear from him again but it may not be until he gets ready to come home. Where he will be working is a pretty primitive area.

I saw an old lady today; she lives in a nursing home. Can I confess that this is one of my least favorite things to do? I don't feel that I am very good at it. She talked and talked, and I found myself getting sleepy and not paying much attention. Then I had a sudden awareness that this could be one of the most important things I will do all week. She needs someone to listen to her, and very few people come to see her. God's view of what is important could very well be different from mine.

No running today. I did scout out a 25 mile bike ride for Sunday afternoon. It was enjoyable and relaxing. It was just what I needed.

1 comment:

Allen said...

Found this in my inbox this morning:

Hello friends and family!
We are all safe and sound in our hotel in Coban. Both teams had a long day of traveling, but other than being tired and slap happy we are doing great. The UF team met the team coming from Nashville in Guatemala City no problem, and Christian Aponte was there to guide us to hotel Don Fransisco where Kris, Luke Burris, Kata and Steve Sherman were waiting for us happily. They greeted us with smiles and songs. We were cozy in the buses with all of our tool bags and suitcases, and had a nice drive through the country and city. Some people complained of the cold buses (Katelyn and Rick), and others complained about Nathan’s singing. For lunch we had some yummy homemade lunch packs. We don’t know what the sandwiches were called, but have decided that’s okay. We even got to stop for some ice cream J Tonight we will be meeting as a complete team, and will all hopefully get some much needed rest. Tomorrow we will wake up and go to Ulpan Valley and start our work week. We are all excited and clean for the time being. Thank you for your prayers!

--
Kristopher Hatchell
Student Missions Coordinator
Lipscomb University